Women’s Health Physiotherapy
Our team consists of physiotherapists with a genuine passion for helping women in the treatment of a wide range of Women’s Health Conditions. At Mediphysio, our Physiotherapists believe in timely intervention, not only significantly assisting in the reduction of symptoms and prevention, but they also want to help clients achieve optimum physical function and ultimately enhance their quality of life.
Common women’s health conditions we assess and treat:
- Incontinence (involuntary leaking of the bladder or bowel)
- Stress Incontinence
- Urinary or faecal urgency
- Pelvic organ prolapses (symptoms often described within the pubic region as fullness, heaviness or bulge)
- Pelvic floor weakness
- Overactive pelvic floor
- Overactive bladder
- Prenatal assessment of the pelvic floor, including birthing preparation
- Postnatal assessment of the pelvic floor function, with the assessment directed at returning to exercise clearance.
- Pre and postnatal musculoskeletal conditions (pregnancy related pelvic girdle pain PRPGP, lower back pain, sacroiliac joint pain)
- Pre and postnatal functional retraining
- Diastasis Recti (abdominal separation)
If you experience any of the conditions listed above, please know you’re not alone and we at MediPhysio are here to help, reassure and educate.
In some (but not all) cases, the physical examination of your condition may require the therapist to perform an internal pelvic assessment. This ensures accurate diagnosis and individualised treatment planning.
A doctor’s referral for an initial consultation is not required, however we may wish to communicate directly with your General Practitioner as this may improve the quality of your care to ensure that they are informed of your condition. Being located within Medical Centres, Mediphysio is the ideal location to ensure that a holistic approach is implemented in the management of your health. Let our team help set you on the path to recovery today.
Women’s Health physiotherapy is an emerging field of physiotherapy, becoming increasingly popular and vital for the health of woman-specific issues, such as Pelvic Floor dysfunction, Pre & post Natal care, incontinence issues and pelvic area pain associated with hormonal changes like those experience during Menopause. Being located within Medical Centres, MediPhysio is the ideal location to ensure your General Practitioner is informed on your issues, and the means you are taking to treat these.
According to the Continence Foundation of Australia:
- over 5 millions Australians experience bladder/bowel problems
- urinary incontinence affects up to 37% of Australian Women (Australian Institute of Health & Welfare report, 2006)
- faecal incontinence affects up to 12.9% of Australian Women (Australian Institute of Health & Welfare report, 2006), with 1 in 4 experiencing this during late pregnancy and 1 in 5 still suffering 12 months after birth
- 70% of people with urinary leakage do not seek advice and treatment of the problem (Millard, 1998: The Prevalence of urinary incontinence in Australia)
- 37% of pregnant women report urinary incontinence, and up to 47% are still affected 6 months post-birth
In some (but not all) cases, the physical examination of your issue may require internal vaginal assessment, to ensure accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment planning, individualized for your specific problem.